Patients who have undergone a Rhinoplasty may go on to develop cosmetic or breathing problems, or may simply wish to improve the current appearance of their nose. This can be addressed with Revision or Secondary Rhinoplasty surgery.
With over 20 years of experience, Dr. Vincent Marin is one of the leading board-certified plastic surgeons in La Jolla and San Diego and has performed hundreds of successful revision rhinoplasty surgeries over the course of his prolific career.
Cost & Financing
A Revision Rhinoplasty in San Diego typically costs $7,500 – $15,000. The final price is determined by the extent of your revision treatment and the number of additional procedures (ear or rib grafting) needed to correct complications, together with various medical expenses that include anesthesia and operating room (OR) fees.
We accept cash, personal checks, and major credit cards as modes of payment. You will be given an accurate, personalized quotation during your initial consultation with Dr. Marin.
Revision nose surgery is best suited for people who:
- Are unsatisfied with the previous procedure’s results
- Experience complications from scar tissue build-up or cartilage warping
- Have difficulty breathing through the nose
- Have an asymmetrical nasal tip
- Have a pointy and unnatural nose due to cartilage protrusion
- Have an “inverted v” deformity in the central aspect of the nose because of the removal of too much cartilage
- Have realistic expectations about the surgery’s recovery and outcome
How is the Procedure Performed?
Much like the original cosmetic surgery, secondary rhinoplasty follows the same steps and techniques. However, Dr. Main may need to harvest additional rib or ear cartilage in order to add more structure and support to the nose.
Before & During the Procedure
Dr. Marin performs the procedure under general anesthesia.
- Your Team
Dr. Marin will be leading a team consisting of a Scripps Memorial board-certified anesthesiologist, a licensed Registered Nurse, and a Scrub Tech.
- Surgery Time
Depending on the extent of the changes that need to be corrected, it can take 2 – 5 hours to complete the procedure.
WHAT TO EXPECT FOR YOUR
2 – 5 hours
Pain, bleeding, infection, breathing problems, incomplete improvement
Within 2 months after the surgery
8 – 12 weeks
DURATION OF RESULTS
Outpatient, possible inpatient if more extensive
Temporary swelling, bruising, and some pain, mild bleeding from the nose, discomfort at the cartilage harvest site
Recovery & Scars
Revision Rhinoplasty is an outpatient procedure, but you may choose to stay in the hospital overnight if you feel the need to do so. You will wake up in the recovery room with a nose splint to help the nose conform to its new shape, which must stay on for 5 – 7 days after the surgery. Dr. Marin will prescribe painkillers to alleviate any pain.
Like with the initial surgery, some swelling on the nose and under the eyes is normal but will subside after 2 – 3 weeks. You may return to work after 2 weeks, or upon Dr. Marin’s recommendation. In order to facilitate proper healing over the next 8 – 12 weeks, it is highly recommended to follow the tips below:
- Lightly dab your nose to clean the wounds, and keep it disinfected with hydrogen peroxide and triple antibiotic ointment for 1 – 2 weeks.
- Keep your head elevated as much as possible for 2 weeks, or until any swelling goes down. You can rest your head on several pillows to achieve this effect while sleeping.
- You may apply an ice pack or a cold compress on your cheeks to assist with bruising and swelling.
- You may have full-body showers after 1 – 2 days making sure the cast does not get wet.
- Do not perform strenuous activities for 4 – 6 weeks, or on the recommendation of Dr. Marin
- Keep out of direct sunlight for 4 – 6 weeks.
- Do not wear glasses or sunglasses for 6 – 8 weeks.
Your final result will begin to settle within 2 months after the surgery, with more refinements manifesting in the following months. Any associated scar will often be small or easily hidden with makeup, assuming you followed your post-op instructions properly.
Your New Look After Revision Rhinoplasty
Revision Rhinoplasty can improve your self-confidence, which may fall after a failed surgery. It does not only enhance your aesthetic appeal by complementing the nose to your other facial features, but this procedure also improves your health by easing your breathing difficulties.
Request Your Consultation
To learn more, you can schedule an appointment online or you can call 858-638-9800
Eyelid lift surgery or blepharoplasty is designed to treat excess skin and bulging fat around the eyes. These eyelid problems often arise as people age. Top...Read More
Rhinoplasty (Nose Job)
Rhinoplasty often referred to as “nose reshaping” or a “nose job,” is a surgery designed to address problems related to both the nasal shape and function...Read More
Chin Augmentation is a surgical procedure that reshapes the chin to better complement your facial profile and balance. The operation corrects aesthetic issues such as an...Read More
A brow lift, also known as the forehead lift, is a cosmetic surgical procedure that elevates and reshapes fallen or congenitally low brows with the goal...Read More
*The images and content provided on this website are developed to educate the public on the procedures offered at Marin Aesthetics. Individual results vary per patient. To assess your candidacy per procedure, we strongly recommend scheduling a formal consultation with board-certified plastic surgeon, Dr. Vincent Marin.