Male breast reduction surgery is a procedure that treats gynecomastia – the presence of excess breast tissue in men thought to be caused by increased estrogen levels.
Leading San Diego board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Vincent Marin regularly performs successful gynecomastia surgeries every year to a global clientele of patients.
Before & After for Gynecomastia
Cost & Financing
Gynecomastia surgery in La Jolla typically costs $5,500 – $8,000. Certain factors may cause the price to fluctuate, such as the operation’s location, the specific procedure performed, surgeon’s fees, and anesthesia fees.
Here at Marin Aesthetics, we accept cash, major credit cards, and personal checks as payment. We also provide our patients with financial options.
Request Your Consultation
To learn more, you can schedule an appointment online, or you can call 858-638-9800
Types of Gynecomastia Procedures
- Liposuction – This technique is used to remove excess fatty tissue from the breasts. Liposuction is a quick procedure, but this is only performed standalone for mild cases of gynecomastia. Ultrasound-assisted liposuction can be recommended if the tissue is particularly dense, as it helps disrupt and remove unwanted breast tissue.
- Mastectomy – If redundant skin and breast glands are a concern, various degrees of reduction surgery must be performed. Liposuction will first be done to remove most fat from the breast and chest. The excess glandular tissue will then be excised via a small incision underneath the areola. Scarring can be more significant in this approach, but it is directly proportional to the degree of excess skin you have at the time of the consultation.
Before & During the Surgery
The male breast reduction procedure is often performed under general anesthesia or local anesthesia with sedation. A licensed Scripps-Memorial board-certified anesthesiologist will provide the anesthesia.
- Your Team
Dr. Vincent Marin will be leading a team composed of an anesthesiologist, a licensed registered nurse, and a Scrub Tech.
- Surgery Time
It typically takes 1 – 3 hours to perform gynecomastia surgery. Surgery may take longer if combined with an additional chest contouring or skin tightening procedure.
WHAT TO EXPECT FOR YOUR
1 – 3 hours
Pain, bleeding, infection, asymmetry, implant failure, capsular contracture, incomplete correction
1 – 2 months for swelling to completely resolve
General or local with sedation
Back to work: 3 – 4 weeks (lipo)
1 week (excisional approach)
Strenuous activities: 3 – 4 weeks
Permanent reduction in breast size
Temporary swelling, bruising, mild pain
Recovery & Scars
Gynecomastia is an outpatient surgical procedure, and you may return home once cleared by your surgeon. Medications prescribed by Dr. Marin can easily control pain and swelling.
You may return to work within 1 week. You can expect soreness and bruise after surgery, so it is important to wear a compression garment for 4 – 6 weeks. However, there are things you must keep in mind to ensure your scars heal properly:
- Avoid sexual activity for at least 2 weeks.
- Refrain from strenuous activities like exercise, weight lifting, pushing, and pulling for at least 3 – 4 weeks.
- Avoid exposing your chest to direct sunlight for 6 months to prevent the darkening of the scars.
Your New Look After Gynecomastia Surgery
Your final look will settle once all bruising and swelling have disappeared, which can take up to 6 months. Your new chest will be flat with better contour and a more masculine appearance. Scars, if properly managed, are easily concealed and will be barely noticeable. We will help you achieve the best results in our state-of-the-art facility.
The procedures in a Mommy Makeover can reverse any unwanted changes that may occur after pregnancy, such as sagging breasts, excess fat and skin, and weak...Read More
The tummy tuck, also known as an abdominoplasty, is a plastic surgery procedure used to tighten abdominal muscles and remove excess skin and tissue. Dr. Vincent...Read More
Brazilian Butt Lift (BBL)
Brazilian Butt Lift surgery is a cosmetic buttock augmentation procedure that uses the body’s own fat to enhance the size and shape of the lower body....Read More
Labiaplasty is a surgical procedure designed to change the size and shape of a woman’s labia majora and minora. Many women who choose to undergo this...Read More
*The images and content provided on this website are developed to educate the public on the procedures offered at Marin Aesthetics. Individual results vary per patient. To assess your candidacy per procedure, we strongly recommend scheduling a formal consultation with board-certified plastic surgeon, Dr. Vincent Marin.